Monday, April 4, 2011

Bacalaitos (Salt Cod Fritters)

So I did it.  Yes, I made them!  I stepped out of my comfort zone and they were good.  I already see things I could have done differently and will be trying this again, next week.  I EVEN took pictures!  HA, isn't that sorta foodie-ish (is that a word?) of me?  Far from impressive but here ya go, in pictures......

  First you have the Salted Cod AFTER you've soaked and boiled to ALOT of the salt away

  
 Next you get your gather your dry ingredients flour, baking powder, sazon, salt (not too much) and pepper


Add a combination of cooled broth and tap water to form a batter


It should end up like a pancake batter consistancy


Add in the broken up cod pieces and fold together so the pieces don't get too tiny


Your oil should be preheated at this point to about 375 degrees (I turned on the stove with oil in my frying pan when i started mixing and was PERFECT when I was ready to drop


Flip to the other side


Take out and allow to drain on MANY layers of paper towel


Viola, there you have it completed product YUMMY!


Bacalaitos RECIPE:

ingredients:

1 1/2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper
1 package sazon
1/2 pound salted cod
1 teaspoon garlic
3/4 - 1 cup water

Prepare the cod by first soaking for at least 1 hour ahead of time, changing cold water a few times.  Then set whole pieces of cod to boil 15 minutes.  Remove water and repeat that step adding clean cold water.  When done remove cod and set aside to cool and save some broth for the batter.  Combine all dry ingredients and slowly add your water to form a pancake like batter wisking well.  Add garlic at this point (i forgot).  Then break up your cod into smaller pieces and fold into batter.  Drop by the spoonful into hot oil to fry when bubbly flip to fry other side.  Remove from pan and let drain on paper towel and then enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. I have never seen these before! Thanks for the recipe:-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Everytime I see any type of fritters on a menu I secretly want them! =) haha so cool to make them at home! =)

    xoXOxo
    Jenn @ Peas & Crayons

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never regret trying something out of my comfort zone. Though I need to do it more often! This sounds like a fun dish to do just that. Looks delish!!!

    ReplyDelete