Wednesday, September 21, 2011

trying harder

some of you know that in mid August I went on a retreat through my church - Christ Renews His Parish (CRHP).  I wasn't sure what to expect when  I went but I am SO glad I did.  Its not one of those fancy retreats that some churches put on, this is a really focused retreat with limited luxuries.  At first I was quite nervous about not having certain things but I understand why it had to be that way. 

Its put me back on track to who really is #1 in not just my life but the children's as well!  I have joined formation for the next retreat with a GREAT group of ladies who I call my Sisters in Christ.

While all this is great, I still question certain things.  I don't feel like I know how to pray.  I mean, yes I pray but am I doing it to the fullest extent I can?  Does that make sense?  Some people can pray and its SO beautiful and when I hear myself I feel like I struggle with it. 

Do I really have to change everything about me to believe in God?  Do I change my music to only Christian music, the shows we watch on tv, everything? 

I know my journey towards Him is going to be a long one.  I am really just trying to figure out how to get there!

Any advise or anything could help!

2 comments:

  1. I wish I had some answers for you, but I have the exact same questions! I found myself nonchalantly talking to God about Grace this morning and stopped and thought, "Should it be more formal than this?" I listen to Christian music because I like it, but I don't shy away from "regular" music either. I watch some pretty 'bad' shows and don't see myself changing that. Just wanted to let you know you aren't alone with your questions!

    ReplyDelete
  2. no, you definitely are not alone. I struggle with the same questions myself. I pray quietly and things pretty eloquent in my head, but when I pray out loud, it becomes jumbled... but I don't try to worry about it much. There was a message from church a few years back... praying is like communicating and conversing to God. It can be an text message "Thank you, God, for this rain!" or a quick email or a more in depth conversation. Praise and requests. God hears simple prayers without the "thou's" and "almighty" and other verbose ways to pray.

    ReplyDelete