Sunday, October 23, 2011

Hearty Ham and Bean Stoup

Stoup - yes, a Rachel Ray word.  I used to think I wanted to be like her.  I've come to realize while I do LOVE the way she cooks, I need to figure it out for myself.  Hearty and stoup probably means the same thing, ah its what I call it.

The week has been COLD.  At work I am outside for an hour on the playground EVERY morning during the classroom's small group time - 8:15am - 9:15am EST.  It's FREEZING still at that time of day!  Saturday we also had our last soccer game of the season and it too was quite chilly at 10:30am.  It did warm up some for football but my bones were rattling.  I didn't know what I was going to make for dinner and I was searching my recipe box on Tasty Kitchen for an appetizer recipe for my Church meeting tonite.  I came across my recipe for Ham and Bean Soup.  We haven't had it in a long time.  Its obviously something my kids would all eat separately - ham, beans, carrots, etc.  BINGO, dinner is served!

RECIPE:  HEARTY HAM AND BEAN STOUP

Ingredients:

2 packages of cubed or diced ham
4 cans Great Northern Beans, divided
1 cup Carrots (more or less depending on your taste) chopped
2 stalks Celery chopped
3 potatoes peeled and chopped
Chicken or Veg Stock (i used 2 1/2 boxes)
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1 small (8oz?) can tomato sauce

seasonings:  salt, pepper, bay leaf

***while I did this on the stove top it can EASILY go into the crock pot and simmer all day***

I took 3 cans of the bean, the canning liquid and all along with the carrots, celery, seasonings and 1 box of stock and brought to a boil.  I let simmer for 30 minutes before adding potatoes and ham and another box of stock.  I then took the remaining can of beans and put into a bowl and mashed them (this is your thickening agent), I added the tomato sauce to that mixture and a little water then dumped that into the simmering soup.  I let it cook another 15 minutes before serving. 

I will warn you this does make a HUGE pot of stoup.  If I would have planned ahead we would have had cornbread with this or french crusty bread, but I didn't think that far ahead.

This is always a hit with my kids with some of them asking for not only 2nds but 3rds too!

WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE GOTO COMFORT SOUP?

No comments:

Post a Comment